Monday, May 23, 2005

Rant - Can't Get My GI Bill Benefits!

How long should it take?! I applied in Dec 04, completed my first semester of school and have not seen one penny of the benefits I was suppose to receive.

First of all, it took the Atlanta Regional VA office 90 days just to look at my application. Then the DoD (VA wasn't specific as to WHO of the millions of DoD employees) said I hadn't paid up for the benefit. After a couple weeks of digging through old files and paperwork I came up with the original application and allotment paperwork along with a series of pay statements to prove that I certainly had paid up.

The Atlanta office got my paperwork on 31 Mar 05. I called to follow up today (don't you think 6 weeks is a reasonable amount of waiting time?!). I was told that they needed at least 8 weeks to process my new paperwork...and, of course, there's no guarantee that they'll find this satisfactory either. Sheesh!

So now I've successfully graduated from my first semester having paid for all tuition, fees and books. I wonder if I'll get any of "my" benefits for the fall semester. No wonder the usage rate for GI Educational Benefits is less than 50%! Who can get anything out of this stonewalling bureaucracy?!!

Thanks for tolerating my Rant. Better news/views to come...I promise.

No comments: