Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Harry Potter 6 - SPOILERS!!

I got back from my road trip on Monday and my book had arrived from England. I tried to get some unpacking and other necessities done before I cracked the book but I was only partially successful.

I liked this book better than 4 and 5. Some people have said they think this one is the darkest of all but I definitely disagree. The death of a fellow student in 3(?) and Harry having to cut himself over and over in the last one were the darkest moments for me.

As to DD's death, that was definitely a dark scene but not as bothersome as the Chamber of Secrets, IMHO. I guess giant snakes make me squirm more than dead bodies...

Also, this being a mythic hero tale means there will be heroic deaths (if the story is to be compelling). I've been expecting Harry to die in the last book but recently read that JK Rowling has said she won't do that. Huh - okay. Guess I better prepare myself for Neville to go then since he's already had a couple close calls. I started tearing up when she had him (Neville) down in the hall in this last book. I was sure he had finally made his last great stand.

Ginny is not going to let Harry go on without her. He's got to face Voldy by himself but his friends (like always) will clear the path to make it possible. The only question is how many/who will survive... JKR is not an American softie, she's a pragmatic Brit. People will continue to die because the end of absolute evil is worth dieing for... isn't it?

No comments: