Tuesday, October 25, 2005

OMG! It's been a month...

Man, that's gone by fast!

Sep 30th was practically a holy day for me and my fellow "Browncoats" (Firefly/Serenity fans) as our "Big Damn Movie" came out as a wide release. Unfortunately, this is a dismal season for almost all films this year and we didn't get the break-out blockbuster we'd dreamed of. It does show signs of being a sleeper but the theaters and studios don't want to bother with those any more. The studios get more $ off the DVD sales anyway so they wait for their lower performers to catch on in that media. Odds are good that this WILL happen for "Serenity" since the series DVD for "Firefly" are currently selling like hotcakes. :-)

Follow-up on the GI Bill thing? Well, I called the Atlanta VA office (EXACTLY at 0800, as you must) last week. They received my letter asking them to reopen my case file (as directed) and recheck my status with the Air Force. The nice lady told me to be patient because it takes them 6-8 weeks to process any paperwork. I guess the mice on the wheels in the back room must be sick or dieing...maybe their trying to upgrade them. Sheesh! What century is this again?! My greatest fear is that the Air Force computer system hasn't "refreshed" the VA system or my file got lost or something... Well, I'm giving them there 6-8 weeks and then I'm done jumping through the bureaucratic hoops - I'm going to my Congressman! I think I've been "patient" enough.

Had great fun with Kevin in Costa Rica two weekends ago. I computerized his house design as my contribution to the "mission". We were down in the SW corner of the country and it is very beautiful. The people there were cool and relaxed - natives and international ex-pats alike.

The tourist area is up on the NW corner of the country at the beaches. I heard other travelers in the airport (flight delayed) talking about how it was beautiful, but "touristy". Kevin drove us through the "mountains of death" and along a lot of rough roads to get to his place but it was worth it! This area is still relatively unspoiled and there are many (inc. Kevin) trying to keep it that way. Apparently, this area is getting more and more popular with wealthy (and indiscriminate ex-pats) so I'm afraid there will only be a few oasis of this type in the next 10 years. Glad I got a chance to see it more in it's natural state and meet the people before they got jaded and abused by the "tourists" and "investors". If you go, please try to learn a bit of the language and be good to the people - it's just a simple matter of respect and good manners.

I'm doing this as a way to procrastinate from my overdue homework. I've really got to learn more about the "self-discipline" thing! :-) Hasta - Karen

Wait! I almost forgot about Hurricane Wilma and she was just here. Well, it was windy and rainy for most of the day... Nothing bad happened to me or anybody I know so, um, I guess that's it. Sending positive mojo down to Mexico and South Florida for damages done there ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No comments: