Hi all, Many of you may already know about this and even used it but this was the first time for me and it was relatively easy. Just thought I'd spread the word.
This service was set up (by law) for consumers to get copies of their credit reports from the big three agencies at least once a year. The web address is www.annualcreditreport.com
One of the strategies I read about and decided to use, is to request a copy from from just one of the agencies at a time and spread out your requests over the year. In other words, request a copy every 4 months from a different agency.
To verify your identity, you'll probably need your financial files close by because they ask questions about account numbers.
I picked Transunion for my first report. They don't have to provide you with your overall score so if you want that, you'll have to pay $5.95. I didn't feel the need for that so I skipped it.
Pay attention to the boxes after you register or you may end up agreeing to get newsletters from the agency and their "partners".
The only error I found was they switched my current address with a former address. I was able to do an online request for change that only took about 5 minutes. Challenging credit data would probably be more complex...
Anyway, I hope you all survived tax season without too much damage! :-) Karen
Monday, April 17, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment