I'm so relieved!! I just got a response from a couple of my friends living in Biloxi. They're hunkered down together in the one friend's house that is still mostly in tact. Sadly, B didn't know how her house had fared because they couldn't get to it. Another friend has lost a roof. B said she just didn't know what to do at this point.
As a FL veteran of last year's hurricanes, I offered her the following advice:
"1. Don't worry too much about protecting your "stuff". It's risky and not worth it. You have insurance and FEMA/SBA will help you with what insurance won't cover.
2. If you don't have to go out for the next day or two, DON'T! People are getting a little crazy so the safest place to be is where you are right now.
3. Stay tuned to local radio or touch base with local FD and police for information about ice, gas, water, etc. They're setting up Red Cross and support stations now for the ice, water, food...
4. Call your insurance and file a FEMA claim as soon as possible. If you need it, lock in a contractor right away, too. (I waited and ended up not getting my new roof until 6 months after the hurricane). However, go with somebody local and reputable or you'll be sorry later.
5. The Army Corps of Engineers came out and installed blue roofs for those of us who requested it. Again, do this as soon as possible!! I had a waterfall in my back room for two weeks because I tried to patch myself and didn't know about the Corps. Again, because I was late making the request, it took about 3 weeks for them to get to me.
That's all I can think of right now. You have been in my heart and prayers all day. Take care of each other!"
So, for what it's worth, I wanted to share it with all my other friends, too. :-) Any other hurricane veteran's out there want to add to the list?
Wednesday, August 31, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment