Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Just Another Face in the Wall


Well, I have succumbed to the charms of Facebook! Now I understand how "friend" became a verb...

I had a great weekend full of inspiring moments. On Friday, Steve took me to see the laser concert show at the local planetarium. They were playing Pink Floyd's The Wall. With the 3-D glasses for cool visuals, I was able to really listen to the album and appreciate the "concept". Pink Floyd was a little advanced for me when they first came out - I was a bigtime teenybopper and not in their target audience at all.

Sunday morning I was all snuggly in my comfy clothes and not feeling the "spirit" to go to church. Fortunately, I was able to dredge up some of that old military discipline and got myself there on time to hear a magnificent bell choir. Our music director is always surprising us with wonderful events like this at UUCJ.

Our past church president then gave a presentation on working with street kids. He and his wife had worked a long time with Covenant House in New York, Toronto, Houston and Honduras. His first hand accounts of how these kids enhanced his spirituality were inspiring and sometimes heart-breaking. Everybody doesn't get a Slumbdog Millionaire ending... unfortunately...

Yesterday, I gave myself the day off from my Second Life addiction and it was great to take care of all those little 15 minute jobs that are so easy to put off. I'm back in SL today but also taking frequent breaks to be sure my RL (real life) stays rich, too.

No comments: